Monday, December 1, 2008

Interesting Things I've Stumbled Upon

I have recently become interested in cult books and plan on writing about them in the future. In the meantime, here's a link to a review of Kahlil Gibran’s Collected Works by Alan Jacobs, probably one of the funniest reviews I've ever read. Yeah, it starts getting tired around the middle and loses steam, but I laughed out loud at the opening:

"Expansive and yet vacuous is the prose of Kahlil Gibran,
And weary grows the mind doomed to read it.
The hours of my penance lengthen,
The penance established for me by the editor of this magazine,
And those hours may be numbered as the sands of the desert.
And for each of them Kahlil Gibran has prepared
Another ornamental phrase,
Another faux-Biblical cadence,
Another affirmation proverbial in its intent
But alas! lacking the moral substance,
The peasant shrewdness, of the true proverb."

The rest can be found here:

http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=6068


Also, I have an somewhat disgusting fascination with Ayn Rand. Not that I believe her "philosophy," but because I am intrigued by the idea of a cult made up of allegedly superior intellects. If you're interested in dating one of these superior creatures, here's an article I found through The Daily Dish about a dating site for Ayn Rand fans. A warning to the ladies: If you've actually read an Ayn Rand book and know how the sex scenes work, then you know that setting up a date with one of these charmers will undoubtedly end in rape. If he likes you enough, that is.

Here's one stud that's sure to moisten your drawers:

"thustotyrants, Selden, New York
[I am] short, stark, and mansome.

You should contact me if you are a skinny woman. If your words are a meaningful progression of concepts rather than a series of vocalizations induced by your spinal cord for the purpose of complementing my tone of voice. If you’ve seen the meatbot, the walking automaton, the pod-people, the dense, glazy-eyed substrate through which living organisms such as myself must escape to reach air and sunlight. If you’ve realized that if speech is to be regarded as a cognitive function, technically they aren’t speaking, and you don’t have to listen."

http://nymag.com/news/features/artifact/51814/

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Trying to find the Best Dating Website? Create an account to find your perfect match.

Blogger said...

If you would like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

If you'd prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy bars and restaurants...

Then I urge you to watch this eye-opening video to learn a strong little secret that can literally get you your very own harem of hot women:

Facebook Seduction System...